« Inland Bound | Main | More Suppositions On Inland Empire »

December 16, 2006

Initial Understatements

I loved how at the ticket window, there was a sign that said "See Inland Empire 9 times and take the 10th trip for free." Or something to that effect. Given that it's a two-week engagement, you'd have to see it every day, with weekends off. I'm not quite sure it's worth all that, but I'm definitely looking forward to seeing it a second time when it opens in Texas in January and putting more of the pieces together.

Posted by David Lowery at December 16, 2006 9:46 PM

Comments

I have now walked out of "Wild at Heart", "Twin Peaks: Fire Walk with Me", "Mulholland Drive", and "Inland Empire". Call me a sucker.

Posted by: Evan Mather at December 17, 2006 5:03 PM

Too bad, give them another chance! I cherish all of those films dearly on different levels, and can't wait to put Inland Empire on that very same list.

Posted by: Karsten at December 17, 2006 6:00 PM

Evan, you're a sucker. On the other hand, I disliked all three of those films you mention the first time I watched them. Mulholland Drive, for example, seemed to me an awkward femme-fatale variation on Lost Highway; but another viewing or two turned me around, and now I think that it's not only far superior to its rather immature predecessor, but that it may be Lynch's best film, period.

Even so, I wasn't about to give Inland Empire the benefit of the doubt, but I really did like it a lot.

Posted by: Ghostboy at December 18, 2006 12:41 AM

I'm glad to hear that as I'll probably catch it in Palm Springs. Will you be doing even more of a write-up, David?

Posted by: Maya at December 19, 2006 1:21 AM

Yeah, sometime in the next 24 hours. As soon as I'm done with the day's non-blog writing.

Palm Springs, eh? That's practically right inside the Inland Empire itself!

Posted by: Ghostboy at December 19, 2006 2:23 PM