« If You Can Reach One Person... | Main | The Good German »

December 5, 2006

Empirical Blend

I had a dream the other night that Inland Empire was, in fact, a masterpiece. I woke up the next morning and the trailer had showed up online. That one shot of Laura Dern sobbing into that darkly lit fisheye lens was enough to hook me over any amount of (hopefully effective) awkward miniDV footage.

The man could make a patchwork assemblage of a film as sloppy as he wanted and people would still give him the benefit of nonexistant doubt simply because it has his name on it - Lynchian is both a catchphrase and a safety catch at this point. To that extent, Inland Empire could be fairly critic proof - but the dissonance within individual positive reviews (such as David Edelstein's) gives me confidence, and hope, and excitement, and a welcome degree of naivete. I want nothing more than to trust his subconscious as much as he does; after all, I always have in past.

I think my trepidation all comes down to the medium. I don't shoot on film too often, and 35mm still has so much mystery to it, so much I don't understand. But I believe I do understand digital video, and am comfortable with it, and in that comfort I'm afraid I'll find Lynch suddenly transparent.

Anyway. Enough with the expostulating - I'll see it for myself soon enough. In the meantime, the whole reason I started this post was to point out that by the end of the month, Lynch will be feeding not just one but two of my addictions: first cinema, and now coffee.

* * *

Related: David Lynch Folds Space, a terrific article by Robert Cumbow (who previously wrote a rather definitive essay on Jonathan Glazer's Birth) on the manifestation of time and space within Lynch's work. Robert uses the metaphysicial constructs within Dune as a model for Lynch's methodology; in addition to being an astute study, it's always great to see a strong reading of what is easily Lynch's most (unfairly) maligned film.

* * *

An update, if only to point to GreenCine's pointing to the poetic highs of Manola Dargis' Inland-centric prose.

Posted by David Lowery at December 5, 2006 12:27 PM

Comments

i'm seeing it this weekend. can't wait!

Posted by: brad at December 5, 2006 2:50 PM

I swore I wouldn't make any more trips just to see movies this year (I've already done it twice), but this one is really tempting me. I might have to stop by Priceline.com here in a little bit.

Make sure you report back with your thoughts!

Posted by: Ghostboy at December 5, 2006 3:31 PM

come this weekend ;)

Posted by: brad at December 5, 2006 6:45 PM

I checked. It would cost me two hundred dollars. Is it worth it? Hmmm....

Posted by: Ghostboy at December 5, 2006 6:49 PM

keep your bar lowered, David. i saw it twice in one week and while it's impossible to ignore, ultimately it left me feeling disappointment (both times, albeit for different reasons). the no-budget mini-DV presentation made me see cracks in the Lynchosphere that i never wanted to see. i want my heroes to stay floating above me in the celluloid stratosphere, not hanging out on the flat, pixelated cement.

Posted by: tully at December 5, 2006 7:10 PM

I'm gonna do my best, Mike, regarding that bar. And lest I forget, if I need any assistance, all I have to do is watch that scene from the Avid DVD....

Posted by: Ghostboy at December 5, 2006 11:34 PM

i just bought my ticket for saturday.

c'mon david, there's still time. fly to newark tomorrow. surely you can't wait any longer to see this film!

Posted by: brad at December 7, 2006 9:09 AM

Hmmm. Tell you what. I've got to get a few copies of Ciao finished and mailed off by tomorrow morning. So once I do that, if there's still a cheap plane ticket available and there's still tickets to the show on Saturday that you're going to available, I might just do it.

Posted by: Ghostboy at December 7, 2006 10:54 AM

let me know. i'll grab you a ticket the second i hear from you. i'm going to the 2:40 show saturday afternoon, at the ifc center. if you fly in to newark, i can pick you up. that would be rad!

new cell: 862.596.1974

Posted by: brad at December 7, 2006 11:37 AM

So, David, did you go to NYC for the sake of a visit to Inland Empire? We want to hear all about it!

Posted by: Karsten at December 8, 2006 11:57 AM

Regretfully, no. But I might next week if it's still playing...

Posted by: Ghostboy at December 9, 2006 1:22 AM