« | Main | »

March 3, 2005

You all have surely heard about how Kubrick would frequently send people to the theaters his films were booked in, to make sure the presentation would be suitable; and then send them again, after the film was playing, to ascertain whether or not those specifications were being maintained.

That was a very, very good idea.

Posted by David Lowery at March 3, 2005 1:02 AM

Comments

Oh, don't stop there! Vent!

Posted by: Matt at March 3, 2005 3:41 PM

I realized too that we were disrespecting our film last night for putting up with the venue. If anything else, it was a good lesson to learn this early on. Nobody cares about your film as much as you do.

Posted by: Yen at March 3, 2005 4:35 PM

That said, it wasn't like anyone had a chance to care about it.

To delve into the story a bit more: we knew the screening was going to be in a bar/coffeehouse type place, simply becaue the organization was an upstart one - no problem there; we understood their limitations, and by allowing the film to play at all, we were supporting an organization which seemed to truly want to support and showcase independent film.

What we didn't expect was their failure to insist that the bar turn off (or at least turn down) their jukebox throughout the screening; or their failure to schedule the screening on a night when there wasn't going to be a fooseball tournament in the adjacent room. I heartily appreciate their intent, but cannot approve of their means.

Our film is very quiet (and its silences are mixed to subtle perfection, if I can say so myself); the picture as a whole requires some degree of attentiveness if one wishes to enjoy it. That the little room it was played in was packed (mostly with film students) signified that people wanted to enjoy it; and despite the conditions of the screening, many of them did seem to enjoy it; and for those that didn't, that they stayed throughout it was a very nice gesture. But I honestly wouldn't have held it against anyone for leaving ten, fifteen, twenty minutes into the film (in fact, Yen, James and I did leave - to get something to eat).

We did get a lot of great questions afterwards, mostly from people who were in the front row, who could actually hear it; and we received many nice compliments on the look of the film; but I wish these folks, who may well have been an ideal audience, being as cinematically minded as many of them were, could have had the benefit of seeing Deadroom in an environement that was at least semi-conducive to watching a film.

Posted by: Ghostboy at March 3, 2005 5:42 PM

I hoped you (a) expressed your unhappiness to the owners and (b) told the audience where they'd be able to see the film again in better conditions.

Posted by: Matt at March 3, 2005 8:43 PM

a.) Nick, in a rare confrontational moment, took care of that shortly after the film started.

b.) Indeed we did, and some of them said they'd try to make it; a sign that it wasn't a total bust, I suppose.

Also, in the Q&A, someone asked if Sartre's No Exit was an influence on the script. I ♥ intelligent audiences!

Posted by: Ghostboy at March 4, 2005 2:48 AM

I think it's a good sign when under the crappist viewing condition, some of the audience were still engaged. Next time, let's try to screen it to a group of people outdoors in the rain with a thunderstorm.

Posted by: Yen at March 4, 2005 8:46 AM

And make them watch it naked.

Posted by: Matt at March 4, 2005 4:25 PM