« | Main | »

March 8, 2005

We papered Austin with Deadroom flyers, posters and postcards all day yesterday. Hopefully, they won't all be completely covered up by Friday. Special thanks to the girl at the Alamo (North location), who hung the posters in the box office window so that everyone buying tickets will see them.

Doing all this marketing work is a.) for the birds and b.) helpful in understanding how important of a step it is in making a film. In the process of putting all the materials up in as many prime locations as possible, we realized that the posters themselves probably won't inspire many people who don't care about SXSW to change their plans for the weekend; but it may get the people who are going but haven't made decided what to see yet be subconsciously predisposed to our film. Or something like that. In any case, hopefully at least a handful of people will show up as a result. We saw someone pick up a few postcards only a few moments after we left them on the counter at the Dobie Theater, so at least we know the image we're using looks appealing.

I've been using SXSW's very handy iCal feature to put together my own viewing schedule. I'm averaging out with about four features a day, but the one thing I haven't been including is time to drive to and from theaters, find parking, and eat. Well, I don't ever really need to eat, but the transportation part is going to be an issue. With any luck, I'll see almost everything I want to see (although I haven't even begun to schedule any panels, aside from the Film Blog discussion with David Hudson and Wiley Wiggins). Anyway, if anyone in the know has any recommendations/warnings regarding any films, feel free to let me know; I'm all ears. I'm trying to see as many films as possible that won't be distributed in the immediate future (with one of two exceptions. like Palindromes).

Also, I just realized we're in the running for the Audience Award, which we have absolutely no chance of winning (looking at some of the other trailers seems proof enough of this, I think). I wonder if there's a way to find out if anyone at all actually voted for us, though, after the fact.

Posted by David Lowery at March 8, 2005 5:55 PM

Comments

Sorry we didn't get a chance to meet up while you were in Austin, but it sounds like you were pretty busy.

And, yes, it is worth it to hustle & put up those flyers. If only for the fact that people will have some kind of image or picture in their head when they hear "Deadroom" mentioned or see it on a schedule.

As far as movies to see, definitely check out Cavite, Straight Line, Four-Eyed Monsters & Straight Line.

Posted by: Bryan Poyser at March 8, 2005 10:17 PM

I'm so excited to see Deadroom plastered about.
Yes, they do make a subconscious impact.
Sometimes I'll run across a film much later, and want to see it because the SXSW poster image had an impact.

I'm flying in too late to catch the big Friday nite premiere (damn you Priceline!) -- catch you at the Thursday noon screening?

Posted by: Chuck Olsen at March 9, 2005 4:24 AM

Looking forward to it, Chuck! Will you be at the blog panel?

Bryan, I've got two of those three you recommended already on my schedule - Cavite isn't, yet, but I'm pretty sure I'll be able to squeeze it in. I'm really looking forward to Straight Line, so I'm glad to see you gave it a double-emphasis there.

Posted by: Ghostboy at March 9, 2005 4:44 AM

Oops, that double-emphasis was a mistake. I meant to write, instead, "Kissing on the Mouth." Not to say that Straight Line doesn't DESERVE a double-emphasis - it's beautifully shot, well-acted & an amazing accomplishment.

Posted by: Bryan Poyser at March 9, 2005 4:48 PM

Yep, Kissing On The Mouth is definitely on my schedule. Incidentally, I imagine they'll get a packed house just because of the nudity in the photo on the SXSW website.

Posted by: Ghostboy at March 9, 2005 5:15 PM

Blog panel: yep, see you there too.

I'm glad to have these film recommendations too, I've barely looked at the schedule. Mostly I stare at Sarah Silverman.

Posted by: Chuck Olsen at March 11, 2005 1:28 AM

The trailer for her film is the funniest thing I've seen since the first half of Kung Fu Hustle.

Posted by: Ghostboy at March 11, 2005 2:26 AM

I didn't get to see anything... In fact I only managed to see three movies through the whole festival.

It's really difficult to do both film and interactive. Especially when you are trying to jobhunt.

Posted by: Wiley at April 9, 2005 10:54 AM